The City of Tyler owns and operates two wastewater treatment plants:
Southside Wastewater Treatment Plant
The Southside Wastewater Treatment Plant was constructed in 1955, with an original capacity of 3 mgd and has undergone several upgrades and expansions to bring it to its current treatment capacity of 9 mgd. This plant is an activated sludge plant, utilizing mechanical aeration to achieve advanced secondary treatment levels. The facility serves approximately 40% of the City and discharges treated effluent into West Mud Creek and thence to the Angelina River. The annual average daily flow into the plant is currently over 4 mgd.
Westside Wastewater Treatment Plant
The Westside Wastewater Treatment Plant was placed into operation in 1968 and was upgraded in 1990. It currently has a treatment capacity of 13 mgd. This facility is a trickling filter/activated sludge plant, utilizing carousel aeration to achieve advanced secondary treatment levels. The facility serves approximately 60% of the City and most of the industrial waste generated in the city discharges to this system. Effluent from the plant is discharged into Blackfork Creek, which flows into Praire Creek and thence to the Neches River. The average daily flow into the plant is currently over 7 mgd.