< Previous Story >     < Next Story >
City of Tyler pursues grant funding

September 13, 2017

Press Release
For Immediate Release
Sept. 13, 2017

City of Tyler pursues grant funding

In the City of Tyler City Council meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 13, many grant funding opportunities were presented. These outside funding opportunities represent $13,190,285 worth of programming and construction cost support over the next fiscal year.  

Tyler Pounds Regional Airport (TYR) has accepted a large grant from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for the rehabilitation of Runway 4/22. Funding from the FAA represents 90 percent of the costs with the City matching the remaining 10 percent of the cost through the Half Cent Sales Tax fund and other revenue sources. TYR accepted $10,181,858 to fund Phase 4 of the Runway 4/22 Rehabilitation and Construction project. This money (along with a 10 percent fund match from the City) will cover the costs of engineering and construction in Phase 4. Council approved the City’s match not to exceed $1,192,756. In addition, the FAA will provide $180,000 for the purchase and acquisition of land/easement to support the Runway 4/22 Rehabilitation project. The City will match funds up to $20,000. 

Tyler Transit applied for and accepted two grants to support the City’s public transportation system. The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Grant supports partial reimbursement for the operation costs of both fixed route and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) paratransit services. The $1,735,689 from the FTA will support partial transit costs like capital expenses for vehicle replacement and maintenance, some operating costs, ADA expenses and planning and research expenses eligible for reimbursement. This grant supplies reimbursement for a portion of the Transit Department operating costs. Remaining funds come from the adopted budget, departmental revenue, and State grant funds. If the City of Tyler did not receive this grant, the City would be responsible for all operating expenses.

In addition, Tyler Transit has received Federal funding, passed through the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) under the 5339 program of small urban transit district, for fiscal year 2017. The funding is in the amount of $92,738, which includes $18,548 in Transportation Development Credits. There is no local match required for this grant. These funds will be used to purchase the annunciation system that will assist the elderly and disabled riders with next stop information both audible and visual, improve customer service levels, and improve efficiency by minimizing the number of manual processes required from the drivers. This proposal is for the purchase of an Automated Annunciation System for 10 fixed route transit buses. This purchase will be funded by grant funds through the 5339 Grant that was awarded for $92,738 with $18,548 in Transportation Development Credits (TDC). The total price for this purchase is $89,940, which includes the first year maintenance and license fees. The grant will cover 100 percent of this purchase.

The City is also pursuing other funding for the Police Department. For the eleventh consecutive year, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) has federal
pass-through funding available to local governments to deploy off-duty officers involved in
proactive traffic law enforcement activities s as part of the Fiscal Year 2017-2018 Comprehensive Traffic Enforcement grant program. The purpose of this grant supports an effort to reduce the number of traffic accidents occurring within the City and to better protect the citizens of Tyler from injury and property loss incurred in those accidents. The grant reimburses portions of the costs associated with the overtime pay of off-duty officers conducting enhanced enforcement of red light, DWI, speeding, and occupant protection laws, public education programs, and the administrative duties of the program.

The proposed program will enable the Police Department to deploy off-duty personnel to conduct traffic enforcement grant activities at an estimated program total cost of $100,903.60.

Outside funding partnerships through grant programs are vital to City services. It is through community, state and federal support that many projects are fully or partially funded, allowing the City to maintain conservative rates and fees. 


Return to main page