< Previous Story >     < Next Story >
Celebrate Women’s History Month at the Library with the Goodman-LeGrand House Museum

March 6, 2018

Press Release
For Immediate Release
March 6, 2018
Celebrate Women’s History Month at the Library with the Goodman-LeGrand House Museum
The Tyler Public Library is celebrating Women’s History Month by displaying select artifacts from the Goodman-LeGrand House Museum’s collection. The collection will be showcased on the first and second floors of the library throughout the month of March.
The display will feature items that belonged to the ladies of the Goodman family. Some artifacts of note include hand-painted china, dresses belonging to the ladies of the house and antique books. The collection will illustrate how some of Tyler’s most affluent female citizens lived during the 1850’s.
Patrons can also expect to see women’s suffrage periodicals from the Library’s Local History Room displayed with the Goodman-LeGrand collection. These magazines and pamphlets will give visitors an idea of how women fought for their right to vote during the 20th century, as well as how Tyler journalists reported on this landmark in American history.
The Goodman-LeGrand House Museum, located at 624 N. Broadway Ave., dates back to 1859 and contains all of the furnishings and possessions bequeathed to the City of Tyler by Sallie Goodman-LeGrand at the time of her death in 1939, preserving of a piece of Tyler’s history for generations to come.
To plan a visit to the Goodman-LeGrand House Museum, or to learn more about their collection, call (903) 531-1286 or visit www.GoodmanMuseum.com.
About the Tyler Public Library
The Tyler Public Library is a department of the City of Tyler. The Library helps meet the information, education and recreation needs of Tyler’s diverse and growing community by providing a full range of print, audiovisual and digital resources along with assistance and programming to promote the use of those resources. To learn more, visit www.TylerLibrary.com.
About the Goodman LeGrand Museum
The Goodman LeGrand home was originally built in 1859 as a one-story, four-room house, and it was established on a nine-acre wooded parcel of land.in 1940, Sallie Goodman donated the home to the City of Tyler, with instructions to maintain it as a museum. A Texas Historic Landmark since 1964, the well-manicured grounds cover almost an entire city block. It was the first property in Smith County listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2010, it was designated a Historic Site by the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).  To learn more, visit the Goodman LeGrand webpage at www.TylerParksandRec.org

Return to main page