Search

Water Billing Office
Water Service Center
Water Quality and Production
Water Sources
Treatment Plants
Industrial Pretreatment
Water Quality Reports
Lakes
Water Conservation
Eng / Constr Standards
Ozone Action Days
Frequently Called Numbers
FAQ's
Lake Bellwood
Lake Bellwood has a surface area of 170 acres and served as the primary water supply for the City until Lake Tyler was constructed in 1949. In 1965, the water treatment facilities located at Lake Bellwood were retired. The only current diversion of water from Lake Bellwood is raw, untreated water used by a handful of customers for irrigation and/or industrial purposes. Lake Bellwood is located on Indian Creek and lies in the Neches River watershed. The lake and 185 acres of marginal lands owned by the City are used principally for limited recreational uses.
Lake Tyler
Lake Tyler was constructed in 1949 and covers approximately 2,400 surface acres. This lake has served as a major source of water supply since its construction. Lake Tyler also serves as a major recreation center for this area, under strict sanitary controls. The City maintains six recreational areas adjacent to Lake Tyler and Lake Tyler East. Lake Tyler is located on Prairie Creek, a tributary of Mud Creek, and lies in the Angelina River watershed. It has a storage capacity of over 15 billion gallons (46,000 acre feet) at spillway elevation and has an average depth of 17.6 feet. It has a watershed area of 42 square miles.
Lake Tyler East
Lake Tyler East was completed and the dam closed in 1967. The lake was filled to capacity in 1968 and is connected to Lake Tyler by a connecting channel. This channel, in effect, forms one lake with Lake Tyler from the standpoint of water supply. Lake Tyler East has a surface area of approximately 2,500 acres, a watershed area of 62 square miles and an average depth of 16.5 feet. The lake has slightly less storage area than Lake Tyler. The two lakes have a combined safe yield of approximately 30 million gallons per day (mgd). Lake Tyler East is located on Mud Creek and lies in the Angelina River watershed. Recreational use of this lake is the same as for Lake Tyler.
Lake Palestine
Lake Palestine became a potential part of the City's water supply in 1965 when the City entered into a water supply contract with the Upper Neches River Municipal Water Authority (the "Authority"). Upon completion of a raw water pumping station and the Lake Palestine Water Treatment Plant, the City began use of its authorized diversion of approximately 68,900 acre-feet of water per year, or 34.7 mgd, in 2004. Lake Palestine lies in the Neches River watershed and has a watershed area of 839 square miles.
Deep Water Wells
Twelve deep water wells are presently available to provide ground water supplies of approximately 10.1 mgd. The wells produce from the Carrizo Wilcox sand group at depths ranging from 600 feet to 1,100 feet. The wells were completed as needed to supplement the surface water supply beginning in the late 1930's through 1996.