How do I apply for a permit?
(1) The first step in the application process will be to download the permit application from the TABC website, www.tabc.state.tx.us.
(2) The applicant will then submit the completed TABC application, along with a City zoning site inspection fee of $500 and a permit fee of half of the cost of the TABC permit, to the City of Tyler Planning Department. The Planning Department will review the application, ensuring compliance with City ordinances, including zoning and distance requirements. The Tyler Police Department will also review the application. Depending upon compliance, the City Clerk would then sign off on the permit application.
(3) The next step in the process will be for the applicant to pick up the TABC permit application from the City of Tyler Clerk’s office and submit it to Smith County for review.
(4) Following approval from Smith County, the State Comptroller reviews the application and once signed, the applicant shall then
(5) Submit it to the TABC for review. Following the TABC review and approval,
(6) The County Judge will sign off on the application and return it to the TABC.
(7) The TABC will then meet with the applicant and provide required materials and the permit.
How long will it take to receive a permit?
TABC has stated that once they receive the permit their average review time is 42 days. This does not include steps 1-4.
It is difficult to pinpoint an overall timeline because there are so many different entities involved in the approval process, per State law requirements.
The City of Tyler is just one step in the overall process.
“The filing of any protest to the application pursuant to State law could also affect the timelines.”
TABC license renewals and ownership/name changes?
Alcoholic license renewals and ownership/name changes must be submitted to the City Planning Department with the appropriate City form (found on this website and the Planning Department office) along with 1/2 TABC fee (exceptions exist for RM/MB permits), and a copy of a current TABC license.