Local authors are defined as authors and creators who live within Smith County. Local authors may donate one copy of their material for possible inclusion in the library’s collection.
Tyler Public Library will review donated materials, but does not guarantee their inclusion in the collection. Once donated, items become the property of the Library and will not be returned. Items not included will be added to the book sale.
Please note, that this form is used to inform library staff of materials that will be donated. Information provided will be used to assess the material and assist with cataloging materials that are added.
- The library will accept one copy of each title. Authors may donate up to three titles per year.
- Materials must be bound and formatted in a way that enables circulation, ease of use, and durability. The library will only accept physical formats, i.e. books, CDs, and DVDs. Items must be in new condition.
- Items added into the collection may be withdrawn, at a future date, in accordance with the terms of the Library retention policy.
- The library reserves the right to include or exclude any title from the collection for any reason. Materials provided to the Library may be removed for any reason, at any time.
- Items added will be interfiled into the general collection and identified with a “local” label. Items will be identified in the catalog under a subject heading “Local Author”.
- All donated materials become the property of Tyler Public Library and cannot be returned to the donor for any reason.
- The library cannot acknowledge receipt of author’s work, nor can we notify authors of our final decision. The Library cannot meet with individuals to discuss their work.
- The library will not provide professional reviews, promotion, or marketing of an author’s work, whether the materials are included or excluded.
- If an author’s work is chosen for inclusion in the library’s collection, the library staff is under no obligation to purchase additional copies for the collection. If the library staff chooses to buy additional copies, they may not be directly purchased from the author but from a preapproved library vendor.