Butler College
Carnegie Library
Emmett J. Scott High School
Texas College
Half Mile Of History
Liberty Hall
Post Cards
Butler College

Chronological Events
1905 -
Established by the Texas Baptist Academy
1924 - Name changed to Butler College in honor of the college president Mr. C. M. Butler.
1949 - Thirty-three acre campus with eleven buildings and 103 acre farm.
1951 - Butler became a Senior College.
1972 - Closed


Reverend Cornelius M. Butler, born in Alabama before the turn of the century, was freed from slavery at the age of 17. He was later taught to read and write by his wife. His strong desire to learn drove him to create educational opportunities for many other blacks.

In 1905, Reverend Butler led the East Baptist Association to establish an institution of learning called the East Texas Baptist Academy, where he served as the first principal. In 1924, the Academy was renamed Butler College in honor of Reverend Butler. It achieved accreditation in 1949. In 1971, Butler College closed its doors after sparking success for many of its students throughout the nation.

In 1992, The East Texas District Baptist Association, under the leadership of Reverend D. C. Brown, serving as Moderator, erected the Heritage Building so that the legacy of Butler College could continue by providing the opportunity for Christian education and the spread of the Gospel of Jesus Christ without regard to race, creed, color or national origin.

If you have historical information to contribute (people, buildings, dates, photographs, etc.) please submit the information by clicking here.   Include who should be credited for the information.