Mayor, At Large
District 2, West:
District 4 N. East:
District 6, South:
Tyler City Council elections are held in May of each year. The election for Mayor and Council Districts 2, 4, and 6 are held on even numbered years. The election for Council Districts 1, 3, and 5 are held on odd numbered years. All candidates for Tyler City Council elections must register with the City Clerk's Office and meet the following requirements, as set forth in the City Charter:
Qualifications of Council candidates and Councilmembers
Each Council candidate and Councilmember shall, in addition to the other qualifications prescribed by law at the time of election
- Be a qualified voter in the City;
- Be a resident of the district from which election is sought for at least six months prior to the election;
- Continue to reside in that district while representing it.
The City Clerk's Office is located on the second floor of Tyler City Hall, 212 N. Bonner. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The Mayor and Council members serve two-year terms, with a term limit of three consecutive terms. They are not paid for their service to the citizens of Tyler.
Tyler residents must be registered voters to participate in the City Council election. Voter registration is handled through the Smith County Voter Registration Office. For more information about who may vote in Texas please view A Guide to Voter Registration published by the Office of the Secretary of Stat, or call the Smith County Voter Registration Office at 903-590-4777.
2020 Election Calendar
- First Day to file for place on ballot Jan. 15, 2020
- Last Day to file for place on general election ballot (Mayor At Large, and Districts 2, 4 and 6) February 14, 2020
- First Day to Apply for Ballot by Mail March 18, 2020
- Last Day to Register to Vote April 2, 2020
- First Day of Early Voting April 20, 2020
- Last Day to Apply for Ballot by Mail, April 21, 2020 (received not postmarked)
- Last Day of Early Voting April 28, 2020
- Election Day May 2, 2020
- Election Returns may be canvassed between May 5-13, 2020