What are you hours?
The Planning Department is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Our offices are closed on all City recognized national holidays.
What the Planning Department does...
The major functions of the Planning Department are:
- Zoning Administration
- Variance Request Administration
- Thoroughfare Closure/Name Changes
- Economic Development
- Subdivision Plat Review
- Historic Preservation
- TABC Permit Review
- Comprehensive Planning
- Special Planning Studies
- Unified Development Code Administration
- Boards & Commissions:The Planning & Zoning Department oversees the Planning & Zoning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustments, and the Historical Preservation Board.
What are the different types of Zoning Districts and what do they mean?
View the full Zoning District Cheat Sheet with definitions and examples.
What the Planning Department does not do...
Some of the most common questions the Planning Department receives but are not responsible for include:
- Building permit status (Building Services: 903-531-1151)
- Building permit requirements (Building Services: 903-531-1151)
- Current permitted activity/reports/prospective stores, restaurants, etc. (Building Services: 903-531-1151)
- Land use restrictions in Smith County (Smith County: 903-590-4801)
- Drainage issues/plans (Development Services: 903-531-1171)
- Sidewalk repairs/construction (Development Services: 903-531-1171)
- Code complaint (Code Enforcement: 903-531-1312)
- Traffic issues/lights/signs (Traffic Engineering: 903-531-1201)
- Street repairs (Streets Department: 903-531-1393)
- On-street parking/obstructions (Police: 903-531-1090 (non-emergency))
- Excessive noise (Police: 903-531-1090 (non-emergency))
- Animal allowances/fowl in yard (Animal Services: 903-535-0045)
- Property addressing in City (GIS: 903-531-1241)
- Property addressing in County (Smith County 911 District: 903-566-8911)
- Park hours/events (Parks and Rec: 903-531-1370)