Applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications at the time of application:
- Be a United States citizen or meet an employment authorization requirement as mandated by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
- Be 18 to 35 years of age, and must not have attained his/her 36th birthday on the date of the written exam.
- Be a high school graduate or have a G.E.D.
- Must possess current Basic Structural Firefighter Certification through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection or be eligible to apply and hold certification in the State of Texas through transferring certification by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC). Applicants shall submit evidence before the test that they are certified at the level equivalent to NFPA 1001 – Fire Fighter I and Fire Fighter II. The applicant shall be responsible for any transfer/certification fees as required by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.
- At a minimum, must possess current Emergency Medical Technician – Basic (EMT – Basic) Certification from the Texas Department of State Health Services or National Registry or equivalent medical training (EMT or Paramedic). The applicant shall submit before the entrance examination, the certificate of completion or the actual National Registry certification card. Current military service members, military veterans, and military spouses who have a current National Registry certification are eligible to sit for the entrance exam. The applicant shall be responsible for any transfer/certification fee as required by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Be in good health and able to pass a medical examination.
- Be in good physical condition and be able to perform all the essential functions of the position.
- Possess a valid driver’s license on date of appointment.
- Be able to intelligently read, write, and fluently speak the English language.
*Military Veterans who make a passing grade on the Civil Service Entrance Exam receive five (5) additional points added to their final test score.
- Written examination which will measure reading comprehension, mathematical skills, mechanical comprehension and table interpretation.
- Applicants who pass the written examination will be placed on the Civil Service Eligibility List for Firefighters in order of the written examination score.
- As openings become available, applicants will be scheduled to complete a Physical Agility Exam.
Applicants will be interviewed during the background verification process and will be required to complete a Personal History Questionnaire prior to the interview.
- Polygraph examination
- Background investigations will be conducted on all candidates after completing the polygraph examination.
- Drug Screen
- Medical examination and work fitness examination.