Although the short definition for GIS is mapping, GIS stands for Geographic Information Systems.The City of Tyler's GIS Department employs a diverse staff who utilizes geographic data and performance analytics, allowing them to analyze, edit, store and present data. General duties include:
- Maintain GIS data layers
- Create maps of data for different projects and departments
- Detailed analysis of City data and infrastructure
- Provide support to data users
- Maintain an interlocal agreement between East Texas 911, Smith County Appraisal District and the City of Tyler
- Financial reporting of City data to the public (OpenGov)
- Automation of Business Intelligence of various departments
- Compare benchmark data to improve City processes (ICMA)
- Field collection of City assets
GIS Mission Statement
To provide expedient and easily accessible GIS and organizational performance analytic services to the public and Cit personnel with a customer service oriented approach.
Smith County Mapsite
The City of Tyler participates in a consortium of data with Smith County 911, Smith County Appraisal District and Smith County Government. From the Smith County Mapsite, you can download published maps and data collected and maintained by local governments. The mapsite hosts interactive maps and viewers as well as smartphone apps.
For data that is not included online (aerials, utility lines and contour data), contact our department at (903) 531-1241.