The mission of the City Attorney’s Office is to provide the highest quality legal counsel to the City of Tyler in order to positively impact the lives of the community we serve.
To be the standard for legal excellence, and the model for public service, equity, and integrity.
About the Legal Department
The Legal Department is headed by the City Attorney and is comprised of three divisions: Transactional, Prosecution, and the City Clerk’s Office. As the chief legal advisor for the City, the Legal Department provides legal advice and representation to the Mayor, City Council, City Officers, City Manager, city departments, and boards/commissions of the City. Our team of lawyers and support staff is a diverse group of talented professionals who possess the expertise necessary to handle the multifaceted legal issues that challenge our communities.
What We Do:
Some of the of the various roles and responsibilities of the Legal Department include:
- Provide legal advice to the City Council, City Manager, boards and commissions, and all City departments on complex and varied legal matters.
- Draft ordinances and resolutions considered and adopted by the City Council.
- Draft and review contracts and various other legal documents, and negotiate agreements and settlements that are in the best interests of the City and its constituents.
- Represent the City in legal proceedings before all state and federal courts, and provide prosecutors to represent the State of Texas in Municipal Court proceedings.
- Monitor and assist with responding to public information requests to promote open government and transparency.
- Oversee City elections and manage redistricting process.
Legal Opinions and Representation
The Legal Department does not provide legal advice, opinions, or representation to members of the public on private matters. This office cannot refer members of the public to any specific attorney or endorse any private legal practice.
Follow the link to view the full: