Founded in 1899 as a subscription library by the Tyler Federation Of Women’s Clubs and located above the old Tyler Electric Company offices on the north side of Tyler’s downtown courthouse square, the Tyler Public Library soon moved to the then City Hall and subsequently became a city department in 1903. The next year it moved nearby into its own building donated by Andrew Carnegie on College Avenue, which was to be its home until 1980 when the present three-story building opened on College across Elm Street to the south.
As a department of the City, the Library is directed by a City Librarian who answers to city management and is advised by a seven-member advisory Library Board appointed by the City Council.
To meet our patrons’ needs for information, education, and recreation through access to library resources.
Tyler Public Library is dedicated to ensuring all citizens of Tyler have access to current materials and resources necessary for lifelong enrichment and education, universal literacy, and informed decision making.
- Inclusiveness – Tyler Public Library strives to serve all members of the City of Tyler equally by ensuring all outreach and information resources are made available to any who would use them.
- Community – Providing a space for community interaction and endless possibilities
- Collaboration – Tyler Public Library partners with community organizations to better serve the City of Tyler.
- Quality – Tyler Public Library strives to provide quality services and programming
- Responsiveness – Respond to patron needs and suggestions for improvement of library services
- Respect – Be accepting, considerate, attentive, and encouraging to all patrons and employees
- Learning – Providing knowledge, information, resources, and assistance