For the latest news and information on Coronavirus in Smith County, please visit For City of Tyler's phased re-opening plan, visit our update page.


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Black-and-White exterior photoFounded in 1899 as a subscription library by the Tyler Federation Of Women’s Clubs and located above the old Tyler Electric Company offices on the north side of Tyler’s downtown courthouse square, the Tyler Public Library soon moved to the then City Hall and subsequently became a city department in 1903. The next year it moved nearby into its own building donated by Andrew Carnegie on College Avenue which was to be its home until 1980 when the present three-story building opened on College across Elm Street to the south.

As a department of the City, the Library is directed by a City Librarian who answers to city management and is advised by a seven-member advisory Library Board appointed by the City Council.