For the latest news and information on Coronavirus in Smith County, please visit For City of Tyler's phased re-opening plan, visit our update page.


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • Can the Court or its employees provide me with legal advice on how to handle my citation?

    No. Court employees (including the judge) are strictly prohibited by law from providing legal advice to anyone.

  • Do I have to employ an attorney to represent me in Municipal Court?

    No. You can represent yourself. Municipal Courts are not required by law to appoint you a lawyer, but you may retain one yourself. No one other than a lawyer can represent you in court. This applies to parents of juveniles. If you are not an attorney you cannot represent your child in a trial.

  • Can I pay my fine in installments?

    The Court has a payment plan option.

  • If there is a mistake on the ticket, does that make it invalid?

    Not necessarily. If you plead "guilty" or "no contest," the issue is immaterial. If you plead "not guilty," a complaint is generated. The contents of the complaint are relevant with regard to a trial.

  • Can the Judge dismiss my ticket?

    A judge can only dismiss a citation if he is given the authority by statute or because of a standing agreement with the City Attorney's Office. Please see the "Citation Dismissal" tab above for more information.

  • I just want to tell the Judge my story. Will he/she talk to me?

    Yes, but only if you enter a plea of "no contest" or "guilty". Upon a plea of "not guilty" the Judge is not allowed to hear any details of the case until the day of trial. This ensures fairness to both the defendant and the state. Also, all conversations with the Judge must be in the courtroom. The Judge is not allowed to discuss the case outside the courtroom and outside the presence of both parties. The judge cannot take phone calls.

  • Is this charge going to revoke my probation?

    If you are on probation in a court, other than the Municipal Court in Tyler, you should refer this question to your probation officer.

  • Is this ticket going on my driving record?

    Generally, all moving violations will appear on your driving record. Some others such as Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility and No Driver's license will appear as well. If you want to keep an offense off of your record, you should request Defensive Driving or Deferred Disposition.

  • What about surcharges issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety?

    For more information on surcharges, visit DPS Surcharge FAQs.

  • Can I reset my court date over the telephone?

    No. All requests for reset or continuance must be made in writing. The request must be received 72 hours prior to your court date and must also list a reason why you need to reset with any proof that you can provide. Filing a request is not an automatic reset. All resets must be approved by the judge.

  • What action may be taken if a defendant fails to respond to a summons to come to court?

    If a defendant fails to appear in response to a summons to come to court an additional charge of "Failure to Appear" (FTA) will be filed and a warrant shall be issued. The fine for an FTA is $415.00.

  • How may the court enforce a subpoena?

    If a witness refuses to obey a subpoena he/she may be fined at the discretion of the court and writ of attachment may be issued. A writ of attachment is an order from the Judge to a law enforcement officer to immediately take this person into custody and bring them before the court.

  • I have a warrant for my arrest, who do I need to speak with?

    Any court clerk will be able to assist you explaining your options regarding warrants arising from the issuance of City of Tyler tickets. You may speak to a clerk by calling (903) 531-1266.

  • I would like to dismiss the charges of assault and the Prosecutors Office will not let me drop the charges.

    You and the defendant must appear in court on the assigned court date. At this time, you may request charges to be dismissed. The State, represented by the prosecutor, may proceed on the case even if you desire to dismiss the charges.

  • I was placed on payment plan and for some reason I defaulted on the agreement. How can I reinstate the plan?

    Payment Plans are administered by the Court. You will need to contact the court at (903) 531-1266 to determine your options.

  • I need an extension to pay the fine.

    Contact the Court at (903) 531-1266.

  • Can you tell me what time and date is my court setting?

    You can obtain this information from the Court at (903) 531-1266.

  • My deadline has passed to complete or return the driving safety certificate an/or my driving record. What do I need to do?

    Contact the Court at (903) 531-1266.

  • Someone has received a ticket in my name, how can I get this corrected?

    You will need to appear at the court, 813 N. Broadway, Tyler, TX. The court clerk will then take the necessary steps to help correct this problem.

  • I need information regarding a County, Federal or Department of Public Safety Office

  • I received a letter from the Department of Public Safety regarding the suspension of my drivers license. How do I get this corrected?

    You will need to contact the local DPS office for further information or the person who sent you the letter.