NEIGHBORHOOD SERVICES IS CURRENTLY BILLING UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Portability in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program refers to the process through which your family can transfer or port your housing rental subsidy when you move to a location in another housing authority's jurisdiction that will accept your voucher.
Porting into NBS
- Notify your current PHA that you wish to exercise portability and transfer your Voucher to the NBS.
- Once your request to move is approved, your coordinator will email, fax or mail a copy of your information to:
Neighborhood Services\900 W. Gentry Parkway Tyler, TX 75702
Attention: Frankie Allred or Rina Bell
- You will receive an invitation to a required orientation meeting that will explain NBS policies and procedures. During the orientation meeting you will receive a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) packet.
Once you find a unit that you are qualified for, NBS will determine whether the unit is eligible according to HUD “rent reasonableness” and percent-of-income requirements. Then NBS will conduct a Housing Quality Standard Inspection (HQS).
The rental subsidy begins on the date the unit passes the Housing Quality Standard inspection, if the family moves into the unit before it passes the inspection, the family is responsible for all the rent until the date the unit passes inspection.
The City of Tyler Neighborhood Services required that you must live in our jurisdiction for one year once receiving your voucher before portability is allowed.
- Fill out the following forms and return it to your coordinator:
- Your coordinator will email needed documents to the new PHA and within 48 hours you can contact the new PHA to confirm that they have received and processed your information. Your new PHA will be able to answer any questions you may have about their program at that time.
Payment Standard 2019- Effective 1/1/2020
|Wood (Mineola/ Alba)||572||599||761||1043||1299||1494|